The Royal African Society is uniquely placed to connect you with a diverse network of African professionals and Africa experts across the academic, business, political, arts and education sectors. Join us to receive discounts on conferences, events and festivals; network with other students and researchers; and engage critically with a wide range of topics and ideas about Africa today. For just £40 a year – or £3.33 per month – you will enjoy a wide range of benefits, saving you hundreds of pounds per year!
- Joint membership with the African Studies Association of the UK (ASAUK), the primary organisation that facilitates links between UK and African institutions and scholars.
- Opportunities to network with like-minded people interested in Africa and establish professional connections and partnerships.
- Share and receive news in our members’ newsletters.
- Subscription to African Affairs, the world’s top-rated African Studies journal (worth £82).
- Access to SOAS Library, the world’s largest reference library on Africa (worth £200).
- Discounted tickets to the ASAUK Biennial Conference (worth £85).
- Free or discounted entry to our programme of public events, where we tackle some of the most pressing issues affecting the continent today.
- Opportunity to feed into the advocacy and policy work of the All-Party Parliamentary Group for Africa, which we administer.
- Priority booking and discounted tickets to our cultural festivals Africa Writes and Film Africa.
- Exclusive invitations to high-profile celebratory events, such as the reception with our Royal Patron, HRH The Prince of Wales, and other members-only events.
- Discounts on subscriptions to other journals and publications, including the Africa Confidential newsletter (30% off 1st year + consecutive discount deal), the African Arguments Insider’s newsletter (30%) and selected books with publishers James Currey and Boydell & Brewer.
- Third party discounts brokered through our partnerships.
Support our work
- Your membership is vital and helps sustain our charitable mission of amplifying African voices and interests to facilitate mutual understanding between people in the UK, Africa and the wider world.
Would you like to further support our charitable work? You could volunteer at our events, festivals or gain some valuable experience interning with us. For more information on our volunteering and internship opportunities, please see here.
Am I eligible?
Anyone studying in Further or Higher Education institutions in the UK or their equivalents abroad is eligible for student membership of the Royal African Society. You will just need to submit a letter from your institution confirming that you are a student. Once you finish your course, you can become an Individual Member.